Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I think the feeling is mutual.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Did Rex Tillerson and President Trump ever like each other? Once, approximately 5 million years ago, in December 2016, Trump gassed up his then-pick for Secretary of State, applauding his “vast experience” for the job. That was before Tillerson reportedly called Trump a moron. You would think Tillerson getting fired would have been the end of their petty beef, but it seems Trump is still holding on to the painful memories of Tillerson’s time in the administration. On Thursday, he called Tillerson “‘dumb as a rock’” (the quotes are his, not mine) and said he was “totally ill-prepared and ill-equipped” to be his Secretary of State. It would seem Trump has some regrets. [Mother Jones]
- Kyle Kashuv, the pro-gun teenager who survived the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, admits sometimes he’s just looking to get a rise out of people. Wow, shocker. HuffPost found that Kashuv made racist remarks and used slurs in text messages, Skype messages, and shared Google docs, months before the Parkland shooting. Kashuv has apologized, saying “We were 16-year-olds making idiotic comments, using callous and inflammatory language in an effort to be as extreme and shocking as possible.” Kashuv, who will start at Harvard University in 2020, has also stepped down from Turning Points USA. [HuffPost]
- The Pentagon will present the White House with a plan to send 10,000 more troops to the Middle East. There is reportedly no new threat in Iran; this is just for “reinforcing security.” That’s worked out great every other time the U.S. has tried it. [AP]
- A 10-year-old migrant girl from El Salvador died in U.S. custody in September of last year, which officials are only just now acknowledging. [CBS News]
- The future of the border looks like more tent cities. [New York Times]
- Bernie Sanders, Julián Castro, Bill de Blasio, and Jay Inslee showed up to protests over McDonald’s low wages and alleged sexual harassment problems. [NPR]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.