Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I hear it’s cold.
- Gossipy excerpts from Michael Wolff’s forthcoming book on the Trump administration included claims that Donald Trump didn’t want to be the President of the United States, that Melania Trump cried when her husband won the presidency, and that Ivanka Trump may want to be the President of the United States. It also laughably describes Steve Bannon as “one of the most powerful men in the world.” [New York Magazine]
- But how reliable are the book and its author? [Slate]
- The tidbits published today led to an all-out war between Trump and Bannon. In a statement, Trump said that Bannon has “lost his mind.” [New York Times]
- Enjoy the entirety of Trump’s statement which accuses Bannon of losing Republicans the Alabama Senate seat, being in it “for himself,” and “leaking false information to the media.” [Twitter]
- Sarah Sanders followed up with a statement, describing the book as “trashy tabloid fiction.” [Talking Points Memo]
- She followed up later during her daily press briefing, describing Bannon’s comments about Donald Trump Jr. as “absolutely outrageous and unprecedented way is probably not the best way to curry favor with anybody.” [CNBC]
- Mitch McConnell also had a few thoughts on the Trump-Bannon fight. [Twitter]
- Meanwhile, Paul Manafort has filed a lawsuit against Robert Mueller and the Justice Department. [Politico]
- Doug Jones and Tina Smith were sworn into the Senate today. [C-SPAN]
- Despite Representative Blake Farenthold’s promise to repay the $84,000 of taxpayer dollars used to settle a sexual harassment claim, he has yet to repay the amount. A spokesperson told CNN that the Congressman “has not yet written a check, and on the advice of counsel is waiting to see what changes the House will make to the Congressional Accountability Act before repaying those funds.” [CNN]
- Alex Wagner will take over Mark Halperin’s job as co-host of The Circus. Halperin was fired in October after numerous sexual harassment allegations. [The Wrap]
- Eric Trump has questions about Ellen Degeneres and the imaginary deep state. [HuffPost]