Weird how they keep doing that?
- Education Secretary and fundamentalist billionaire Betsy DeVos has appointed Arthur Wayne Johnson, the CEO of private student loan company Reunion Student Loan Finance Corporation, to run the Office of Federal Student Aid, which manages $1.2 trillion in student debt. In addition to being aligned with the private sector, Johnson has only been working in the student loan business since 2013, when he founded Reunion. In her announcement, DeVos did not mention the company but did mention a dissertation on student loan debt that Johnson completed in a weekend PhD program at Mercer University in Atlanta. This will not go well. [Washington Post]
- The Congressional Black Caucus declined an invitation to meet with Donald Trump. “Given the lack of response to any of the many concerns we have raised with you and your administration, we decline your invitation for all 49 members of the Congressional Black Caucus to meet with you,” Rep. Cedric Richmond said in a letter. [ABC News/Congressional Black Caucus]
- A Homeland Security official testified before the Senate Intelligence Committee today that individuals with ties to the Russian government tried to hack election-related computer systems in 21 states. Everything’s fine!!!!!! [Washington Post]
- The Democratic Party appears to be casually freaking out after Ossoff’s loss in Georgia on Tuesday. [New York Times]
- Trump’s budget calls for big cuts to housing aid, with the exception of a program that financially benefits him. [Washington Post]
- The Montana Democratic Party sent Greg Gianforte—who recently won a House seat after beating up a reporter—an orange jumpsuit to celebrate his first day in Congress. [The Hill]
This has been Barf Bag.