Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
How’s everyone feeling about Trump 2020?!
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Days after Donald Trump attempted to blow up all prospects of peace in the Middle East by proclaiming Jerusalem Israel’s capital, the White House announced the departure of a key figure in the crafting (such as it is) of its Middle East policy, deputy national security advisor Dina Powell. [New York Times]
- Though the official death toll in Puerto Rico is 62, in reality, it may be as high as 1,052. [New York Times]
- The White House says it’s ridiculous to question Donald Trump’s health. [Washington Post]
- Democratic lawmakers and Jewish leaders who have been critical of the Trump administration were not invited to this year’s Hanukkah party. [New York Times]
- Trump is loosening regulations on methane—a potent, odorless gas that’s far worse for climate change than carbon dioxide—suspending a rule that limits methane leaks from fracking, drilling, and other oil and gas operations on federal land. [Washington Post]
- Thanks to a rollback of another Obama-era policy, airlines will no longer be required to disclose baggage fees at the beginning of a ticket-purchase. [The Hill]
- The family of Rep. John Conyers, who resigned amid allegations of sexual harassment, is reportedly fighting over who will fill his vacated seat. [Vice]
- Iowa Rep. Steve King is still up to his racist, white supremacist shit. [Steve King/Twitter]
- Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke booked government helicopters to take himself and his staff to meetings in Washington DC, spending $14,000 over the summer. [Politico]
- The Arkansas Department of Health has resumed issuing birth certificates to comply with a Supreme Court directive to “allow female spouses of women who give birth to be listed.” The directive, issued by Gov. Asa Hutchinson, came hours after a judge ordered a halt on birth certificates because they favored heterosexual parents over same-sex couples and did not follow constitutional standards. [CBS]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.