Welcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
What an emotional rollercoaster the past 24 hours has been.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- It looks like the Democrats have temporarily located their spines after spending the last few days fretting about White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sander’s free cheese plate. Republicans are salivating over the prospect of confirming President Trump’s pick to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy when he retires, but Congressional Democrats are pushing back. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer is calling on an all out rejection of a Supreme Court nominee who will dismantle Roe v. Wade.
Senator Feinstein and others say confirmation should wait until after the midterm elections are over, a la Judge Merrick Garland.
We’ll see how long this lasts, but I’ll try to hold onto this sliver of hope for at least a few hours before succumbing to cynicism once more.
- It seems Mitch McConnel, a turtle, is parched for SCOTUS domination, man...
- Senator Marco Rubio admitted that he and his Republican collegues are too chickenshit to call out Trump because they don’t want to look like they “side with the media.” [Talking Points Memo]
- Apparently Trump will tell Putin to leave the midterm elections alone!!! [Politico]
- James Alex Fields Jr, the man accused of driving into anti-white nationalist protesters in Charlottesville last year, has been charged with federal hate crimes. [NBC News/Twitter]
- LOL. Anyway.
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.