Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I hope your Monday is going better than Lance Bass’s.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Crime........ time?
- Former White House Communications Director Hope Hicks was seen boarding Air Force One ahead of Trump’s campaign rally in Ohio this weekend. [Talking Points Memo]
- Months after withdrawing from the Obama-era nuclear deal with Iran, the Trump administration will reinstate sanctions against Iran at 12:01 AM Tuesday morning. [The Hill]
- Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar is “very concerned” that Russian agent will hack the midterm elections. [Politico]
- Six people have been arrested in an attempted drone attack on Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro. [Politico]
- Businesses that rely on seasonal workers are struggling because of Trump’s immigration restrictions. [NBC News]
- Senate Democrats are planning to question Supreme Court Justice Nominee Brett Kavanaugh about his close relationship with former Judge Alex Kozinski, who retired after more than a dozen women alleged he sexually harassed them. [Talking Points Memo]
- Some early polls suggest Joe Biden is a top 2020 Democratic presidential candidate. Please let’s not do this! [The Hill]
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is asking other state legislators to block the NRA’s insurance program. “If the NRA goes away, I’ll remember the NRA in my thoughts and prayers,” he said in an ad that aired on Sunday. [Wall Street Journal]
- Trump’s border wall would be a waste of millions of dollars and also a violently racist idea come to life. [CNN]
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions releases a statement addressing a judge’s decision that the Trump administration must reinstate DACA, suggesting the DOJ plans to appeal. [Chris Geidner/Twitter]
- Sikh man Surjit Malhi was beaten up by racists while putting up campaign signs in Stanislaus County, California. Ironically, he says that his turban saved him by absorbing some of the blows. Malhi was posting signs for Republican Congressman Jeff Dunham at the time of the attack. [CBS 13]
- The West Hollywood Council is considering removing Donald Trump’s Hollywood Walk of Fame Star “due to his disturbing treatment of women and other actions that do not meet the shared values of the City of West Hollywood, the region, state, and country,” according to Monday’s meeting’s notes. The star has been vandalized several times. [The Hollywood Reporter]
- A diabetic man detained by ICE says that he went a week without medical treatment while in ICE custody and has gone blind in one eye. [Slate]
- The memorial signpost for Emmet Till, the black teenager killed in 1955 after he was wrongly accused of whistling at a white woman, has been shot again—35 days after the sign was replaced because vandals shot it. [Washington Post]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.