Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
I, too, greet all of my friends in this manner.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Here’s Mike Pence, just continuing the grand American tradition of destabilizing Latin America and posing for awkward photos. [CNN/Twitter]
- The White House is forming a working group of “scientists” to cast doubt on the impacts of climate change. Great!! [Washington Post]
- In a speech on Sunday, Virginia Lieutenant Governor Justin Fairfax compared the scrutiny he is under after two women alleged he sexually assaulted them in the past to “terror lynchings.” Never a good look when you sound like Clarence Thomas. [Washington Post]
- Some good news: the CEO of U.S. gun manufacturer Sig Sauer may go to prison in Germany. [NPR]
- Some more good news: Elizabeth Warren will not be holding private fundraisers with wealthy donors. [New York Times]
- Some news that makes me want to claw my eyes out: former Hillary Clinton campaign staffers are trashing Bernie Sanders’s requests for private planes when he campaigned for Clinton in 2016. His travel cost $100,000, a drop in the bucket when compared to the $15.9 million overall that the campaign spent on private jet travel. Can we not do this??? [Politico]
- Some idiotic news: a Fox News host described Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s decision to pay entry-level staffers a decent salary as “socialism and communism on display.” Hello, please brush up on your Marx! [Slate]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.