Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
You can eat fried chicken for breakfast, y’all.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Attorney General William Barr was supposed to appear before the House Judiciary Committee today, but after being grilled by the Senate on Wednesday, he decided to skip. That didn’t stop Democrats from setting up an empty chair for him. Representative Steve Cohen of Tennessee also decided to eat from a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken during the hearing. “Chicken Barr should have showed up today,” Cohen told reporters afterwards. House Democrats have threatened to hold Barr in contempt of Congress for being a no-show at today’s hearing as well as for missing a subpoena deadline to hand over an un-redacted version of Robert Mueller’s report. “He lied to Congress,” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said. Meanwhile, Senator Kamala Harris told CNN that she believes Barr didn’t answer some of her pointed questions over fears of perjuring himself—which, probably! [CNN/New York Times/Politico/CNN]
- The Trump administration officially wants to kill every part of the Affordable Care Act. [New York Times]
- When the Trump administration announced last summer that it would reunite thousands of families it had separated at the border, it privately admitted that “we do not have any linkages from parents to [children], save for a handful.” [NBC News]
- Mar-a-Lago’s still ripping you off. [ProPublica]
- Former United Nations ambassador Nikki Haley continues to fall up, now joining the board of Boeing. [CBS News]
- More reasons to love Ilhan Omar. [Democracy Now!]
- Congratulations to Adrienne Jones, who’s now the first black woman to lead Maryland’s House of Delegates. [Vox]
- Facebook and Instagram have finally banned Alex Jones and his website Infowars, Milo Yiannopoulos, and other rightwing shills from their platforms. It’s a little too late, but byeeeeeeeeee. [The Atlantic]
- Another man throws his hat in the ring for the Democratic presidential nomination and I just... [New York Times]
- Meanwhile, this TIME cover happened.
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.