Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Can science please figure out a way for women to reproduce without the contributions of men? I feel like things would become significantly better for the world.
- Though Nazis and the KKK chanted about killing Jews and black people openly on the streets of Charlottesville in August, the FBI was seemingly more concerned about how angry people of color are in America. In an August report obtained by Foreign Policy Magazine, the FBI characterizes “black identity extremists” as domestic terrorists, writing, “The FBI assesses it is very likely incidents of alleged police abuse against African Americans since then have continued to feed the resurgence in ideologically motivated, violent criminal activity within the BIE movement.” The report goes on to say, “It is very likely Black Identity Extremist (BIE) perceptions of police brutality against African Americans spurred an increase in premeditated, retaliatory lethal violence against law enforcement and will very likely serve as justification for such violence.” So now the FBI is arguing that racism isn’t the problem; the problem is that black people just get irrationally angry over “perceived” racism—which is some pretty racist logic! Then again, America is governed by uncloaked white supremacists. [Foreign Policy]
- Several organizations, including the ACLU and the National Women’s Law Center, are suing the Trump administration over Friday’s announcement that rolled back the Obama-era birth control mandate. [TheHill]
- Who’s out next in the Trump administration’s current reenactment of Game of Thrones? My money is on Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. [Vanity Fair]
- A year after the video leaked, women’s rights advocacy group UltraViolet is playing Donald Trump’s “grab them by the pussy” Access Hollywood tape on repeat for 12 hours near the White House to remind the world that he’s a dangerous sexual predator. [Washington Post]
- On that note, it’s really something to watch the Trump administration try to claim moral high ground over Harvey Weinstein. [Deadline]
- A day after Gov. Jerry Brown called California a sanctuary state for undocumented immigrants, ICE countered with a threat. “ICE will have no choice but to conduct at-large arrests in local neighborhoods and at worksites, which will inevitably result in additional collateral arrests,” Acting Director Tom Homan wrote in a statement. “ICE will also likely have to detain individuals arrested in California in detention facilities outside of the state, far from any family they may have in California.” [Mother Jones]
This has been Barf Bag.