Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Do words have meaning?
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Anti-abortion leaders are changing their slogan from “pro-life” to “pro-science.” An incredible pivot. [Stat News]
- Here’s a thing that Hawaii Democratic Representative Ed Case, who is white, said at a celebration for the Asian American and Pacific Islander members Congress: “I’m an Asian trapped in a white body.” Case then apologized with whatever this is supposed to mean: “I regret if my specific remarks to the national API community on my full absorption of their concerns caused any offense. His spokesperson also, for some reason, thought it would go over well to say that he was commenting “on what his Japanese-American wife sometimes says about him.” [Washington Post]
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi has asked Donald Trump to delay the State of the Union address, scheduled for January 29, amid the government shutdown. “Sadly, given the security concerns and unless government re-opens this week, I suggest we work together to determine another suitable date after government has re-opened for this address or for you to consider delivering your State of the Union address in writing to the Congress on January 29,” she wrote in a letter on Wednesday. [CNN]
- So far, the average federal worker has missed $5,000 in pay due to the shutdown. [The New York Times]
- At the same time, the Trump administration is asking 50,000 employees to come back to work without pay. [Washington Post]
- The shutdown is exacerbating the immigration court backlog, meaning some people could wait years for their hearing. [Mother Jones]
- Melania is also a victim of the shutdown. Save Melania! [Washington Post]
- This GoFundMe is funding food for teachers currently on strike in Los Angeles. [CNN]
- Bernie Sanders wrote an op-ed about the economy and Donald Trump. [The Guardian]
- Steve King, retire bitch! [Des Moines Register]
- After facing backlash, South Florida commissioner Anabelle Lima-Taub has deleted an Islamophobic Facebook post in which she wrote that Rep. Rashida Tlaib “is a danger and [I] would not put it past her to become a martyr and blow up Capitol Hill.” Tlaib is Muslim, and the first Palestinian-American in Congress. [Washington Post]
- Beto O’Rourke continues to dodge questions on immigration and foreign policy. [Washington Post]
- Chef José Andrés is serving free meals to furloughed federal workers. [CNN]
- This North Texas business owner is hiring furloughed workers for temporary contract work. [NBC 5]
- Palestine, which has non-member observer state status at the United Nations, is seeking full membership—essentially, recognition of Palestinian statehood. [AFP]
- Idiots have given $7 million in donations to a man who says he is going to privately fund and build Trump’s border wall. [CBS]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.