Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- On Friday, two days after a judge required the federal government to grant an unaccompanied immigrant minor in Texas an abortion, a federal appeals court halted the order, delaying her abortion. The girl, identified in court documents as Jane Doe, is 15 weeks pregnant as of Wednesday. Texas law bans abortions after 20 weeks. The court has said the girl has 11 days to find a sponsor; if she is unable to find one, or if HHS does not release her to the sponsor, then the district court may “re-enter”a restraining order or injunction and the government may appeal again. [Court document via Lawrence Hurly, Thomson Reuters]
- Barack Obama, a distant memory, on Thursday night attempted to lift our spirits at a Virginia rally. “We saw what happened in Charlottesville but we also saw what happened after Charlottesville when the biggest gatherings of all rejected fear and rejected hate and the decency and goodwill of the American people came out,” he said. He also criticized Trump a bit more pointedly than he has in recent months, saying,“But here’s one thing I know: if you have to win a campaign by dividing people, you’re not going to be able to govern them. You won’t be able to unite them later if that’s how you start.” [The Guardian]
- Donald Trump does not own Renoir’s ‘Two Sisters on the Terrace,’ painting, as he once claimed to reporter Tim O’Brien. The Art Institute of Chicago said they’ve had it since 1933, so whatever Trump owns, it’s not that. [NBC Chicago]
- Billionaire Democrat donor Tom Steyer is launching a series of TV ads calling to impeach Trump. [NYMag]
- The Trump-supporting former Navy SEAL Fox News interviewed earlier this month was never in the Navy, it turns out. Fox has retracted the story, saying, “All of Garofalo’s claims turned out to be untrue.” [Washington Post]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.