Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Members of the 116th Congress were sworn in today. (Mostly good!)
Is the government still shut down? It is. (Not good.) When will it reopen?
- House Democrats are officially back in power, and Nancy Pelosi is once again the Speaker, returning to the position after leading the majority party from 2007 to 2011. Read the speech she gave here, and let the oversight begin! [Vox/Mother Jones]
- Here are the 15 Democrats who did not vote for her. [CNN]
- One of the first things House Dems plan on doing? Hold hearings on Medicare for All. [Washington Post]
- Oops, former Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke is still in trouble. [Washington Post]
- The shutdown is having a major impact on our immigration system, such as it is. [Washington Post]
- Meanwhile, Border Patrol official Brian Hastings claims that CBP fired tear gas at people attempting to cross the border earlier this week “for the safety of our agents, and, for the safety of those folks,” the latter referring to the people agents fired tear gas at. [The Hill]
- Can we just let Elizabeth Warren drink her (shitty) beer?? [Newsweek]
- Martin O’Malley wants Beto O’Rourke to run for O’President! [Des Moines Register]
- But Senator Dianne Feinstein of California wants Biden to run. [Politico]
- Read this op-ed by former Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe in which he argues that Democrats need to abandon “idealistic but unrealistic policies” like universal free college, if you must. [Washington Post]
- Mitt Romney is so boring that even his family drama is yaaaaaawn. [Politico]
- What’s going on in the case of Paul Whelan, the American detained by the Russian government and accused of being a spy? [CNN]
This has been Barf Bag.