Barf BagWelcome to Barf Bag, a daily politics roundup to help you sort through the chaotic Trumpian news cycle.
Here’s all the shit we couldn’t cover today:
- Republicans, who have so far sought to address school shootings by offering prayers, arming teachers, equipping students with clear backpacks, and increasing security at schools, now have another strategy: limit the number of entryways (what Jezebel senior editor Joanna Rothkopf dubbed “door control”). In the wake of the school shooting outside Houston, Texas Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick, a staunch opponent of gun control, offered this: “Maybe we need to look at limiting the entrances and exits into our schools.” Then he went all-in with this very bad solution, which is also a serious fire hazard: “Had there been one single entrance possibly for every student, maybe he would have been stopped.” It’s amazing, and sad, how far Republicans will go to avoid addressing gun control. [Vox]
- Donald Trump tried to coerce U.S. Postmaster General Megan Brennan to increase the shipping rates that the U.S. Postal Service charges Amazon.com and other businesses. [Washington Post]
- The Farm Bill, which subsidized farmers but imposed work requirements on recipients of federal welfare programs like SNAP, has failed in the House. [New York Times]
- Trump wants to fire the person who snitched on the person who joked about John McCain dying, but not the person who actually joked about John McCain dying. [AP]
- A man angry about Donald Trump fired shots at the Trump National Golf Course in Miami on Friday morning, injuring an officer. The suspect was wounded by gunfire. [AP]
- Stormy Daniels’s lawyer has released his long-awaited skincare routine. AHAs, baby! [Vanity Fair]
- Georgia GOP gubernatorial candidate Michael Williams’ “deportation bus” peppered with slogans like “FILL THIS BUS WITH ILLEGALS” and “DANGER! MURDERERS, RAPISTS, KIDNAPPERS, CHILD MOLESTORS [sic], AND OTHER CRIMINALS ON BOARD.” has broken down and banned by YouTube, Cracker Barrel, and elsewhere. [DailyKos]
- This White House video on Laurel vs. Yanny makes me want to cut off my own flesh and sew it into a quilt and remain under its covers until the end of time. [The White House/Twitter]
- The House will vote on DACA before the end of June thanks, in part, to moderate Republicans. [BuzzFeed]
Here are some tweets the president was allowed to publish:
This has been Barf Bag.