- Welcome to moron-gate, folks! According to senior administration officials, Sec. of State Rex Tillerson—whose department he is currently “running into the ground,” according to the latest apocalyptic warning from a former State official —nearly quit this summer in a fit of frustration with Trump, referring to him as a “moron” in a meeting with other administration officials, NBC reports. According to an MSNBC reporter, the phrase reportedly used was “fucking moron.” Trump later said he has “total confidence” in Tillerson, which means something maybe but I don’t know what. Tillerson also ate shit in a press conference, calling Trump “smart” and denying that he ever considered leaving his post. He did not deny calling his boss a moron or a fucking moron. [NBC, Politico]
- Some key Republicans appear to be considering a narrow ban on bump stocks, a legal gun accessory that appears to have allowed the Las Vegas shooter to convert a semi-automatic weapon into an automatic one. “The fact that fully-automatic weapons are already illegal and this makes another weapon capable [of automatic fire], I would be supportive of that,” Senate Homeland Security Committee chairman Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) said. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) tried unsuccessfully to get bump stocks banned in 2013, and is behind this legislation as well. It’s... something, I guess. [The Hill]
- “The issue of collusion is still open,” Senate Intel Committee chair Sen. Richard Burr (R-NC) said at a news conference on their ongoing Russia investigation today. Had you forgotten about that? If so, it’s, well, ongoing. [New York Times]
- Environmental destruction continues apace: the Interior Department has moved to delay an Obama-era rule that limits methane leaks from drilling on federal land. [The Hill]
- Haha, Puerto Rico, Trump was just joking around about erasing your debt! Never mind! [Politico]
This has been Barf Bag.