Welcome to ConBag, a daily roundup of gossip from the Democratic National Convention, which we are attending for four very sweaty days.
PHILADELPHIA—After an extremely early train ride, Joanna Rothkopf and I have arrived in the city of brotherly love. So far, we have seen the inside of a taxi, the inside of the apartment we’re staying in, the inside of a bus, and the Panera in which we currently sit. “I wonder what the dating scene is like here?” I pondered. “I bet it’s great, there are so many PhD candidates,” Joanna replied.
Two Arkansas delegates in extensive Bernie gear wandered up to us at our table in Panera. Jason, who looked to be in his twenties, said he was still feeling carsick from his 22-hour drive; he was accompanied by Cherry, a woman in her sixties who kept angling to give us an optimal view of her Bernie t-shirt. Jason said that he would vote for Trump over Hillary, explaining that he doesn’t think Trump would be able to do anything in office because [a presumably Republican-controlled] Congress would block him. This idea was confusing for everyone!
Jezebel: But what about appointing judges to the Supreme Court?
Jason: The Supreme Court is important, but we’re Bernie or bust—that means we aren’t going to vote for anyone but Bernie.
Cherry: Hillary voted twice for war, Bernie voted twice against war. Every human being has value.
Jezebel: So what do you think will happen when Trump is elected?
Jason: I think he’d be impeached, he’s an idiot.
The theme of today is “United Together,” which is funny, because there’s just about no unity at present. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, who stepped down as chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee the night before the convention, was booed this morning at the Florida delegation breakfast; meanwhile, Bernie Sanders supporters seem to have co-opted a fun Republican meme:
And over at the California breakfast, things are going great:
- One very intrepid Jill Stein supporter has called upon his followers to find email evidence of Jezebel accepting “money or talking points” from the DNC. Sounds like a fun project!
- We met a woman who loves Tim Kaine. It was odd, and exciting.
- That giant inflatable joint protesters were carting around has unfortunately lost some air.
- Elizabeth Warren tried her best to enjoy a cheesesteak.
- The woman who handed out our credentials patted my hair, and it was very soothing.
- Chloe Grace Moretz is feeling excited and empowered!!!!!!!